The human body is not meant to sit for long periods of time and yet we have developed to lead a sedentary lifestyle. We sit in the car on the way to and from work, sit for eight hours at our desks, we then return home to once again sit in front of the TV or computer. Due to this lifestyle that most of us lead we experience back pain. One way to relieve this pain and keep your spine in good condition is to invest in an office chair that allows you to have a good seating posture.
In this article, we will discuss why a good office chair is important as well as what the best office chairs for back support are.
Why Your Office Chair is Important
An office chair is important because the wrong office chair can worsen existing back problems or pain or even create these problems. Sitting for long periods of time puts one’s body under stress. Bad posture with a lack of lumbar (lower back) support while sitting, can compact one’s spine and increase pressure on a number of areas within the body. If you slouch for long periods of time you are overextending the spinal ligaments which in turn strains your spinal discs. If this posture is not corrected it can damage your spinal structure.
Back Support Office Chairs: What to Look for
When searching for an office chair that can provide you with proper back support and assist you in maintaining a healthy seating posture, there are a few basic features to look out for. These features include:
- Height Adjustment: It is important to ensure that your chair is height adjustable. When seated your feet should be flat on the floor while your thighs are horizontal to the floor. It is important to ensure that you are not perched at the front of your chair.
- Backrest Adjustment: The backrest of your chair should be adjustable toward the front and back of the chair. Your backrest should always be adjusted to the point where it provides you with the support that you require, not leaning too far forwards or backwards.
- Adjustable Arm Rests: When placing your front arms on your armrests, your elbow should be bent at a 90-degree angle to allow your forearms to be horizontal to the ground. This will ensure that you do not put any additional strain on your shoulders.
- Depth and Width: You should ensure that your chair is wide and deep enough to create a comfortable and healthy seating position, allowing for enough space to sit comfortably and correctly.
- Lumbar Support: It is extremely important to find a chair that offers lumbar support. Thus it should ideally be curved towards you at the bottom of the backrest to follow the natural curve of your lower spine.
Opt for a High Back, Lumbar Support Office Chair
Office chairs are available in a multitude of styles and back lengths. While a mid-back length chair can provide necessary back support, an office chair that has a high back and good lumbar support will be able to align your spine all the way from your lower back to your neck and head.
At S&J Office Furniture we stock the Falcon Chair that has all the necessary accessories and features. It even has an adjustable headrest to ensure your neck and head are always supported. To find out more about our range of office chairs, contact S&J Office Furniture or visit our showroom in Centurion.